In the nutrition field, iodine is a mineral highly present in seafood. It helps in the normal functioning of the body.
This mineral has a variety of uses by the body and environment at large. Some of these uses include;
- It is used in purification and treatment of water.
- Elemental iodine may also be used to treat iodine deficiency.
- It is used in treating breast pain
- Iodine solution in alcohol is used as a mild disinfectant.
- It is used in reducing skin inflammation and the healing of wounds.
- Iodine compounds are used as animal feeds supplements.
- It is used by infants to reduce swelling in the eye
It is naturally found in soil, oceans, and seas due to the high salt concentration. Iodine is present in; seafood and seaweeds, dairy, egg yolk, grain products, vegetables, fruits, iodized salt, and iodine supplements.
Iodine Rich Foods
Foods rich in this mineral include;
- Seafood; tuna fish, codfish, seaweed, shrimp.
- Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cottage cheese.
- Grain products such as bread.
- Vegetables; onions, cabbages, broccoli, sweet potatoes.
- Fruits; prunes, apple juice, banana.
- Processed foods that contain iodized salt.
Iodine In Salt
Salt is a food additive used to improve food taste. Iodized salt is sodium chloride that has been added iodine minerals. When added to food, it helps to increase iodine levels and prevent deficiency. Salt is iodized by spraying a potassium iodide solution.
Supplements are medicinal products that contain high levels of iodine. They are used to treat iodine deficiency. Health experts, however, recommend supplements to patients with hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a health condition where the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormones that aid in metabolism.
This is a form of supplement. It is readily absorbed, digested, and assimilated by the body to assure optimal health benefits. Iodine drops are used to fight fatigue, improve endocrine system functions which help with sleep, emotions, body temperature and mood.
These are a form of supplements. However, these pills and tablets should only be taken under doctors instructions as they may have serious side effects.
It is an example of a supplement. It helps boost sluggish metabolism and energy levels, losing weight, and improving mental clarity and focus. Aqueous iodine is used as a disinfectant on wounds.
This mineral is important for efficient thyroid function. Thyroid is a small gland in the neck that helps in regulating different body processes. Iodine has many health and nutritional benefits to the body which include;
Nutritional Benefits of iodine
- It aids in the production of thyroid hormones which help with the metabolism of the body.
- Iodine consumption by pregnant women helps with improving birth weight.
- Brand A Iodine is used in disinfecting water
Health Benefits of Iodine
- Iodine is used by pregnant women to help with the fetus and infant growth and development.
- It is used in the vagina to prevent postcesarean swelling of the lining of the uterus.
- It helps improve children’s memory and brainpower.
- It reduces the risk of goiter
- Under doctors’ prescriptions, this mineral is used to manage the overactive thyroid gland by destroying the excess thyroid cells.
- Potassium iodide reduces the risk of thyroid cancer for people in radiation-exposed areas.
- Iodine helps in the healing of wounds.
This is a nutritional condition where an individual lacks enough quantity levels of the mineral iodine. It is used to produce thyroid hormones which help in ensuring the normal functioning of the body. Iodine deficiency tends to affect a specific group of people in the society such as;
- Fertile and pregnant women
- Infants and children
- People living in areas prone to mild iodine deficiency
Iodine deficiency may result in the following:
- Swelling in the neck
- Fatigue and general weakness.
- Dry cracking skin
- loss of body weight
- Mental retardation and general learning disability
- Pregnancy-related problems
- Heavy and irregular periods by iodine deficiency women.
- Thyroid cancer
Iodine Side Effects
Iodine side effects are caused by the excess ingestion of iodine. the recommended iodine intake in adults is 150 micrograms per day. side effects resulting from excess iodine consumption include; thyroid gland inflammation, thyroid cancer, burning of the mouth, throat, stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and goiter. iodine deficiency and excess iodine have generally the same effects.
How Iodine is Poisonous
Iodine is poisonous when ingested in excess to the Recommended Dietary Allowance, i.e. in adults, quantities above 1100 micrograms and 300 mcg per day for children up to the age of 8 years is considered poisonous. Iodine poisoning is mainly caused by huge intakes of iodine supplements, different medications. It may result in the burning of the mouth, fever, a weak pulse, and a coma.
Symptoms of iodine poisoning include_but not limited to;
- weak pulse
- swelling of airways
This is a condition where a person’s immune system exhibits an undesirable reaction when exposed to iodine. Patients with food allergies (milk) and asthma have a higher probability of being allergic to iodine. Examples of these allergic reactions include;
- Itchy rashes
- Sudden outbreak of swollen, pale red bumps on the skin (urticaria)
- Anaphylaxis- swelling of the tongue, throat, and shortness of breath. Anaphylaxis should be treated immediately on sight to prevent patients’ unconsciousness and death.
Iodine allergy vs shellfish allergy
Shellfish allergy is the abnormal response of the immune system to proteins. Shellfish are aquatic marine creatures with shells. Shellfish allergy symptoms include;
- Itching of the skin
- Swollen tongue and other body parts.
- Breathing problems
- Dizziness characterized by fainting.
Shellfish allergy occurs due to specific proteins in these marine creatures and not because of iodine. Therefore iodine allergy and shellfish allergy and not related although patients should seek doctors’ care immediately when they notice some of the above symptoms.
Thyroid is a small gland in the neck that helps in regulating different body processes such as metabolism and energy creation. Iodine reduces thyroid hormone and can kill fungus, bacteria.
Iodine And Thyroid
Thyroid is a small gland in the neck that helps in regulating different body processes. Thyroid cells are the only cells in the body that can absorb iodine. Iodine has a complex impact on the thyroid as too much or too little of iodine may result in thyroid problems and goiter. This is because thyroid uses iodine in the body to produce thyroid hormones which help in metabolism.
It is a substance containing iodine that is used to enhance the visibility of internal body structures in radiographic procedures such as X-rays. Iodine contrast is used for different reas0ns such as;
- Testing of the urinary tract
- X-ray of the veins(Venography)
- Viewing the inside of blood vessels(Angiography)
Iodinated contrast agents can cause allergic reactions, kidney damage and excess production of thyroid hormones.
Iodine Vs Iodide
The two forms of iodine are Iodine (I2) and Iodide ion (I-). These forms of iodine are what are used in the composition of iodine supplements. Iodine should never be ingested or applied directly to the skin because it is highly corrosive properties. Iodide (I-) is the most readily form of iodine found naturally and can be ingested or applied on the skin.
Iodine Pills Chernobyl
When radioactive iodine(I131) is released into the air after a nuclear fallout, it contaminates food and may be inhaled. The thyroid gland quickly absorbs the harmful radioactive iodine ingested. In 1986 the worst nuclear accident took place near the city of Chernobyl, Ukraine due to negligence of safety protocol. The nuclear core in the reaction was exposed due to the explosion and deposited radioactive materials in the atmosphere. According to The United Nations Scientific Committee, more than 6,000 children and adolescents developed thyroid cancer after being exposed to radiation. Iodine pills have been proved to prevent thyroid cancer in a radioactive environment such as Chernobyl.
Iodine Radiation Treatment
This is a type of internal radiotherapy that uses the radioactive form of iodine_ iodine 131. Iodine 131 is absorbed in food and accumulates in the thyroid which increases the risk of radiation-induced and thyroid cancers due to high levels in the environment from radioactive fallout.
Iodine 131 is absorbed in the bloodstream and through its radiation property kills cancer cells in the body.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.
All content in this site is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor, psychiatrist or any other health care professional. We are not responsible or liable for any diagnosis, decision or self-assessment made by a user based on the content of our website.
Always consult your own doctor if you're in any way concerned about your health.