What is Caraway?
Caraway, scientifically known as Carum carvi, caraway seeds belong to the Umbelliferae family of plants which also includes other well-known spices like fennel, cumin, anise, and dill.The seeds are dark brown, crescent-shaped with several stripes running along the surface.
Caraway has health benefiting flavonoid antioxidants such as lutein, carotene, cryptoxanthin, and zeaxanthin. These compounds indeed work as powerful antioxidants by removing harmful free radicals from the body and thus protect from cancers, infection, aging and degenerative neurological diseases.
Caraway spice is an excellent source of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc and magnesium. Copper required for the production of red blood cells. Iron required for red blood cell formation. Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate growth and development, digestion and nucleic acid synthesis. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps regulate heart rate
and blood pressure. Manganese used by the body as a co-factor for the powerful antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
History Of Caraway
The origins of the name caraway come from the Arabic al-karwiya seeds; which some presume is the origin of the Latin word carvi and from Caria, where caraway may have first been used.
Early History of Caraway.
Two of our sources indicated that the history of caraway dates back to the Stone Age. Caraway seeds were discovered in the refuse areas of prehistoric communities in southern Europe. Those finds are believed to indicate that the plant was a part of early man’s daily life.
The roots of caraway plants were said to warm and stimulate a cold, languid stomach. It was combined with milk to make a bread which formed the chara of Julius Caesar that was eaten by the soldiers of Valerius.
Dioscorides, an ancient Greek physician, pharmacologist and botanist at the time of Nero, advised using caraway oil for ‘pale-faced girls’. During my research on the history of caraway, I couldn’t find a reference that explains what ailment he was referring to.
Caraway Seed Folklore.
In German folklore, parents placed a dish of caraway seeds beneath their children’s beds to protect them from witches. The belief was that that any object containing caraway could not be stolen.
The history of caraway also has a romantic side. Caraway was once used as an aide in preventing fickleness and was used in love potions. Caraway seeds were also added to chicken feed in hopes of keeping them from wandering off and is still sometimes given to homing pigeons.
The Shakespearean and Victorian Connection.
During Elizabethan times caraway was used as a condiment and is mentioned in Shakespeare’s Henry IV Part Two. For a period caraway became unpopular but it saw a revival during the reign of Queen Victoria when all things German became fashionable. (Caraway is often used in sauerkraut, sausages, dumplings, and a number of other German dishes.)
Medicinal Uses of Caraway.
Caraway is related to dill, fennel and anise and has been thought to have many of the same medicinal properties – an antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, and digestive. It’s been used to stimulate milk production in mothers as well as treat infant colic and is often used to flavor children’s medicines.
Traditional Uses Of Caraway
- Chew it raw to provide relief from indigestion.
- It is used to treat bronchitis and as an aid for cough.
- Fruits are used as an aid for loss of appetite, colic, promote lactation and digestive disorders.
- Use the tea prepared from leave or tea to treat flatulence.
- An infusion made from fruits helps to eliminate intestinal worms.
- Caraway fruit is used to treat hypertension and diabetes.
- Chew the seed after meal to sweeten breathe and provide relief from heartburn.
- It is used for treating loss of appetite and failing vision.
- Caraway tea is used to improve respiratory conditions such as bronchitis, cough, colds and asthma.
- A decoction prepared from Caraway is used traditionally to wash wounds, bruises and prevent infections.
- It also provides relief from gas problems.
- Essential oil extracted from Caraway helps to eliminate toothaches, bad breath and gum diseses.
- It is also used to treat menstrual cramps and insomnia.
- Take tea by adding Caraway seeds in the morning. This helps to treat problems such as bloating and lowers weight.
- It helps to lighten scars caused due to acne or pigmentation.
Modern Uses Of Caraway
Today, caraway is still recommended as a treatment for flatulence. Some parts of the world serve caraway seeds after meals much like an after-dinner mint. As a culinary herb, caraway is frequently used in German and Austrian cooking as a seasoning for cheese, dumplings, port, goose and sausages. It continues to be used for sauerkraut as well as breads, cakes, and sweetmeats. Young caraway shoots are used with salads and many eat boiled roots like a vegetable.
Culinary Uses of Caraway (leaves and young shoots, roots, seeds and oil)
Leaves and young shoots.
Eaten cooked or as salad greens.
Roots were commonly eaten like parsnips; but the larger size of parsnips made caraway roots less optimal for a food source.
Seeds are used to season breads, cheeses, liquors, salads, sauces, soups, candy, seed cakes, cookies and comfits.
Having the characteristic flavor and odor of the fruit, caraway oil is often used in the manufacture of toilet articles such as perfumes and soaps.
About Caraway Plant
Caraway is a glabrous and branched plant which grows 30 to 70 cm high with elongated fusiform taproot. It is a biennial plant which requires two years for full life cycle. When it dies, it produces seeds. The plant has thick root and hollow fluted stems. Leaves are bipinnatisect with ultimate segments, 3 to 5 × 1 to 2 mm and linear or linear to lanceolate. Flowers are yellow, white or green and occur in clusters. Fruits are achene in ellipsoid to crescent shaped and yellowish brown. Fruit measures 4 to 6 mm long by 1 to 1.5 mm wide.
Caraway Nutrition ValueNutrition Health Benefits of Caraway
Amount Per 100 grams
- Calories 333
- Total Fat 15 g – 23% RDA
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 17 mg
- Potassium 1,351 mg – 38% RDA
- Total Carbohydrate 50 g – 16% RDA
- Dietary fiber 38 g – 152% RDA
- Sugar 0.6 g
- Protein 20 g – 40% RDA
- Vitamin A 7% RDA
- Vitamin C 35% RDA
- Calcium 68% RDA
- Iron 90% RDA
- Vitamin B-6 20% RDA
- Magnesium 64% RDA
Caraway seeds are incredibly healthy and nutritious. They contain a wide variety of essential vitamins and minerals and also act as a natural antioxidant. If you are wondering why you should be eating caraway seeds, here are some facts that may persuade you.
- Caraway seeds contain loads of crucial dietary fiber. A 100 gram serving of these seeds contains a whopping 38 grams of fiber which is 100%..that’s right 100% of your recommended daily allowance of fiber. For those of you who feel you need to increase your fiber intake, look no further than the caraway seed.
- Caraway seeds get their distinctive flavor and fragrance from chemical compounds called caveolins and carvones. These chemical compounds are primarily responsible for several of the medicinal properties of the spice including its antioxidant, carminative and digestive properties.
- Caraway seeds are an excellent source of various minerals including copper, potassium, iron, calcium, selenium, magnesium, manganese and zinc.
- We all know that calcium has bone benefits while iron and copper are essential for the body to produce red blood cells.
- Potassium is an electrolyte that helps our heart work efficiently and to maintain both healthy blood pressure and steady heart rate.
- Zinc has many vital functions in the body including growth, development, digestion and sperm production.
- Caraway seeds also provide you with some essential vitamins including several of the B family of vitamins, vitamins A, C, and E.
- In a 2018 French study, researchers have investigated the addition of Caraway and Cumin to protein bread to improve taste and double the antioxidant value.
- Caraway also is a useful Essential Oil. Caraway essential oil is made from the plant with a wide variety of health benefits. The essential oils made from caraway contain numerous chemical compounds such as limonene, pinene, carveol, thujone, and aldehyde. These compounds have been well studied and are known to have many therapeutic actions including antioxidant activity and digestive benefits.
- A study on rats in 2018 used a proprietary mixture of Peppermint and Caraway Essential Oil (Menthacarin®) and concluded “[Menthacarin®] may be a safe and effective treatment option that should be tested for IBS”
Amazing Health Benefits of Caraway
1. Heart Health
The fiber in caraway help reduce LDL cholesterol levels in the body. Reducing overall and LDL cholesterol, in turn, reduces the risk of developing heart disease and stroke. The natural antioxidants found in caraway seeds also play a vital role in cardiac health by neutralizing the damaging effects of free radicals. Caraway contains potassium which acts as a vasodilator of blood vessels which helps prevent stress on the blood vessels which might lead to heart diseases like hypertension.
2. Treats Insomnia.
has a high content of magnesium, an essential mineral in the body that reduces nerve tension, and even stimulates the release of serotonin, which creates a feeling of relaxation or sedation. This serotonin is changed to melatonin in the brain, which is a sleep inducer, thus relieving people of their problems with insomnia and restlessness at night.They also help to regulate your metabolism which can also help you to overcome sleeping issues.
3. Weight Loss
The rich fiber content in caraway gives a satiety feel for longer preventing over eating and snacking between meals. A research conducted in Malaysia found that an extract made from caraway seeds helped participants not only to lose weight but also body fat and BMI.
The study was done using 70 female volunteers who were either obese or overweight but otherwise in good health. The women were separated into groups and either treated with caraway seed extract or given a placebo for 90 days. Apart from being given caraway no changes were made regarding diet or exercise.
By the end of the trial, those who took the caraway extract had lost an average of over 6 pounds compared to a slight weight gain among the placebo group. People in the caraway group also experienced considerable improvements in BMI, body fat percentage and an increase in muscle mass.Those in the group given caraway also saw a two-inch reduction in waist circumference.
4. Promotes Breast Milk Production
Breast milk production is hard at times as a either the result of engorged breasts, whereby the ducts become swollen or blocked, or simply because you do not appropriately stimulate the production of milk. Caraway seeds are what we call a galactagogue- a substance that promotes the production of milk. It is safe for the baby, and can be consumed daily to help you meet your production requirements.
5. Has Anti-Spasmodic Properties
Spasms of the intestines and digestive tract are uncomfortable, and can also be painful. This is usually due to something we ate that may be causing an accumulation of gas, or worse an infection. Caraway seeds help to relieve the spasms associated with these conditions, and can even help treat menstrual cramps.
6. Improves Vision
Caraway have a little of vitamin A and they contain carotenoid anti-oxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoid anti-oxidants slow down premature macular degeneration, help keep the optic nerve healthy and can reflect some amount of UV rays from damaging the eyes.
7. Skin Care
Caraway seeds contain good fats and Vitamin E, both of which help prevent excess water loss from the skin, and buffer UV damage from the sun. Caraway seeds also contain a little Vitamin C which is essential for stimulating collagen production and keeping skin’s structural integrity preserved.
8. Stress Reliever
Caraway seeds has adaptogen properties – An adaptogen is something that makes your body more capable of dealing with stress, reducing fatigue and allowing for a pleasant mood. It also stimulates the mind and helps keep you alert when fatigue is about to ensue.
9. Has Diuretic Properties
Caraway seeds have diuretic properties. It helps in promoting urination, in individuls such as those with high blood pressure or kidney stones to name a few. Regular urination helps prevent stone formation, and can reduce blood pressure in persons who struggle with water retention.
10. Relieves Coughing
Caraway seeds have expectorant and antitussive properties. Its expectorant properties assist in the breakdown and expulsion of mucus from the lungs, while it also directly suppresses the need to cough by acting on the brain. Expectorant properties are most useful in chesty coughs, while its antitussive abilities are better suited for dry coughs.
Since caraway may possibly decrease your blood sugar, individuals with diabetes needs to be cautious whenever consuming large amounts of caraway. Given caraway’s potential to affect blood sugar levels, it’s also important to prevent eating caraway for around a couple weeks just before undergoing surgery. In addition, caraway oil needs to be prevented by ladies who are pregnant or even breastfeeding.
It’s important to keep in mind that supplements have not been examined for safety and also dietary supplements are largely unregulated. In some instances, the product might provide doses which vary from the specified amount for every herb. In some cases, the product might be contaminated along with other substances like metals. Additionally, the security of supplements in youngsters and those along with medical conditions or even who’re taking medications hasn’t been proven.
12. Help individuals sleep
Caraway Seeds might help individuals sleep with its high-content of magnesium, that is a mineral which is straight associated with enhancing the quality, duration, as well as tranquility of sleep. Caraway seeds also aid manage the metabolism, so as to reduce sleep problems and also the occurrence of insomnia.
Preliminary research from animal-based studies raises the question of whether caraway can even be of some benefit to individuals with diabetes. For example, a 2006 study on diabetic rats (published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology) discovered that dealing with the rats along with caraway extract resulted in a substantial reduction in levels of cholesterol.
14. May boost bone health
Caraway seeds include a great source of zinc, that is discovered to enhance bone mineral density as well as overall bone health.
15. Anti-fungal and anti-yeast properties
Caraway seeds are frequently recognized to have got anti-fungal qualities. This implies caraway seeds could be stored for extended periods of time without fearing them getting spoilt by exposure to air. Not only this, caraway seeds have proven to be anti-yeast by nature. They are able to therefore be utilized in foods that need anti-yeast properties. They may be utilized for long-term storage.
16. Remedy for Colic
Colic is really a non-definable disease that frequently affects neonates as well as infants. A typical usage of caraway seeds is always to cure a colic condition. Colic is seen as crying for no reason, irritability, being unable to latch on to the mother’s breast as well as obtain nutrition. Colic could be cured with the addition of a few grains of caraway seeds into boiling milk, combining it along with honey.
17. Cures loss of appetite
Loss of appetite is a very common issue we face within the modern-world due to our inability to consume nutritious food. Not just that, we also are hooked on habits just like smoking that decrease our appetite simply by half. A special type of tea created by including caraway seeds is really a remedy for bad appetite. If consumed over time, you will observe the advancement in your appetite progressively.
18. Cures digestive disorders
The therapeutic qualities that caraway seeds have got are plenty in number. Certainly one of their crucial uses is within healing gastro-intestinal as well as digestive complaints. It’s also utilized to heal stomach ulcers due to its calming properties.
19. Able to Reduce Cholesterol
Scientific tests also have confirmed the health effects of fiber-rich foods in reducing LDL cholesterol within the body. Not just that, fiber likewise helps enhance the amount of HDL cholesterol. These functions are very important in lessening chance of developing cardiovascular disease.
20. Veterinary medicine
Caraway seeds are found in lots of medications which are administered to prevent numerous illnesses which afflict animals. It really is generally obtainable in numerous pharmacies.
21. Itches, Boils and Rashes
With Caraway seeds, you may also take care of itches, boils as well as rashes. All you need to do is make a paste of carom seeds along with lukewarm water and apply this all within the affected region. You may also boil a few caraway seeds and when the water comes to room temperature, carefully wash the areas using the ajwain water. You’ll definitely find a solution to the problem and get rid of pimples too.
22. Relieves heartburn
You may have frequently mistaken acidity or even heartburn for the symptoms of a heart attack. You experience that serious burning within your chest as well as throat area experienced with burps or hiccups. The next time you experience this type of heartburn, the simplest action to take is to take a number of caraway seeds. Either include it in boiling water as well as consume this particular concoction or even mix a spoonful of it with a bowl of curd as well as consume this. It may also be consumed in conjunction with peppermint oil to ease yourself of gastrointestinal disorders.
23. Cures Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are unpleasant signs of either intestinal infection as well as other bodily disorder. A simple method to reduce yourself from these symptoms is to consume caraway seeds. You’ll be surprised to see the relief that you’ll observe.
24. Menstural Cramp and Stomach Problems
Menstural Cramps as well as stomach problems are very frequent among ladies. All you need to do is boil a few caraway seed oil and wait around for it to come to room temperature. After it has, you are able to apply and massage this all over your stomach area. You’ll find rest from your cramps in the hour or so. Another alternative is always to grind a few caraway seed oil, combine with lime juice, add to a few lukewarm water and drink twice daily. You’ll certainly get great outcomes.
25. Stimulates appetite
Poor appetite is a very common problem for adolescents as well as young children. Parents certainly have a hard time getting children to eat the proper nutrients-laden food due to their bad appetite. Caraway seeds ingested in the right amount are incredibly beneficial in increasing your appetite.
26. Beneficial for Dry and Itchy Scalp
Individuals who suffer from dry as well as itchy scalp or even poor quality hair should really include some caraway seed with their diet… Now take one of the slices and rub it all over your scalp. Massage for the next ten minutes. Cleanse along with water and after that wash off with herbal shampoo. To fight any type of itchiness, you may also utilize a caraway seeds pack. You will have to create a paste of banana as well as caraway seed paste and apply all around the scalp. This should be done once per week at least.
27. Loaded with Antioxidants
Caraway seeds are loaded with powerful flavonoid antioxidants which includes carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin. Studies have discovered these compounds fantastic in eliminating harmful free-radicals as well as safeguarding the body from cancers, premature-aging and infections.
28. Improves overall health
Overall health has been enhanced by way of consuming caraway as it is termed to improve your immune system. The immune system is that mechanism that resists the body as well as systems from catching infections as well as diseases. If you do get any disease, the immune system creates infection-fighting components which help you recover sooner.
29. Antiseptic and Disinfectant
Caraway seed is a wonderful disinfectant as well as antiseptic capable of dealing with numerous infections which range from skin irritations to infections of bodily organs like those of the digestive, colon, respiratory, excretory and also urinary systems. The caraway seed is additionally reported to be effective at avoiding the development of fungi and bacteria, therefore avoiding the development of ulcers and sores. It may also safeguard people with wounds against tetanus.
Caraway seeds include a chemical compound known as ‘limonene’, that does anti-cancer actions and halts the development of breast, liver, lung, as well as stomach cancer.
Simply because caraway is really a mild antihistamine and in addition consists of anti-microbial properties, it will help relax the muscles which cause coughing difficulties.
32. Anti-inflammatory Property
The anti-inflammatory property of caraway seeds, assist to manage any kind of inflammation as well as inflammation related difficulties. Especially, it is extremely efficient to deal with any inflammation within the intestine part of our body.
33. Relieve Constipation
Health improvements of caraway seeds may also be contributed by their high dietary fiber content. Each 100 g of the seeds supply you 38 g of fiber, a great remedy to resolve constipation problem.
34. It is good for the wounds
As an antiseptic it prevents the development of bacteria and fungi, therefore avoiding the infection of wounds. In addition, it successfully cures numerous internal infections.
35. Caraway promotes urination
First of all, it is extremely very theraputic for people who wish to loose weight. It improves the frequency as well as quantity of urination, therefore helps you to thoroughly clean the kidney, decrease fat and keep urinary tract from infections.
36. Colic Relief
Bruise an ounce of caraway seed. Pour a quart of distilled water within the seeds and allow sit 6 hours. Might be sweetened along with honey. Give one or two teaspoons when needed, up to 4 times daily. This treatment is recognized as safe for all and is also particularly beneficial in dealing with children.
37. Cure for obesity
Traditionally caraway has been used to treat obesity. The study was conducted to investigate the weight lowering effects of Caraway extract on overweight and obese women through triple-blind, randomized and placebo controlled clinical trial. The participants were provided 30 mL/day of CE or placebo without changing their physical activity or diet. The treatment groups have significant reduction of weight, body fat percentage, body mass index and waist to hip ratio. There was no change in urine specific gravity, lipid profile and blood pressure. Results shows that dietary CE with no restriction in intake of food and when combined with exercise helps to manage obesity in women.
38. Assist in losing weight
Research shows that an extract of Caraway seeds assist the participants in losing weight, BMI and body fat. The study was conducted on 70 female volunteers who were overweight or obese. The women were treated with extract of caraway seeds for 90 days. No changes were made in exercise and diet. At the end of trial, those with caraway extract lost over 6 pounds. They experienced considerable improvements in body fat percentage, BMI and increase in muscle mass.
Caraway Oil is a known remedy for increasing milk production for lactating mothers. It is advised to consume Caraway essential oil it with honey. It enhances both the quantity and the quality of milk. The baby feeding on this milk is also kept safe from flatulence and indigestion due to the properties of this essential oil.
Histamine is the major reason behind disruptive and exhausting coughs. People who suffer from seasonal allergies can continue coughing endlessly! Sometimes, the conditions become so severe that the patient runs out of breath and in some cases, the patient might collapse. Although there are many anti-histamine medicines available on the market, they all have their own side effects and do not provide a permanent cure. However, Caraway oil can be miraculously helpful by neutralizing the effects of histamine and cures these potentially dangerous coughs and other ailments associated with histamines and allergies.
It is a remarkable expectorant. Even smelling this powerful oil gives relief from congestion that has resulted from coughs and colds. When taken with honey or warm water, it loosens mucus deposited in the respiratory system. It gives immediate and long lasting relief in inflammation of the nasal tract, larynx, pharynx, bronchi and throat due to colds and other illnesses.
42. Insecticide & Vermifuge
It kills insects residing both on and inside the body. It can end the problem of lice and intestinal worms in a very safe way. Most medicines that are used to kill intestinal worms can have very adverse effects on children, unlike Caraway oil, which is completely safe.
Selection And Storage Of Caraway
Caraway seeds can be found year around within the markets either in the form of seeds or perhaps in ground form. In the store, purchase whole caraway seeds rather than powder since, frequently it might include adulterated spicy powders.
Once at home, the seeds could be kept in cool, dry, dark place in air sealed containers for a lot of months and could be milled utilizing hand mill whenever needed. Ground and powdered caraway ought to be kept in the refrigerator in airtight containers and really should be utilized for early as you possibly can since it loses its flavor rather quickly.
How to Eat Caraway
- It is used as a spice in culinary dishes, bread, confectionery, liquors and beverages.
- In Austrian and Southern German, it is used with meat, vegetable or rye bread.
- It is also added to sauerkraut which is a fermented cabbage.
- Use it to add flavor to cheeses.
- It is used in curries, casseroles and salads.
- The essential oil is used to flavor candy, ice creams, liquors and soft drinks.
- Brew crushed fruits and leaves into tea.
- Leaves are consumed raw or used to flavor soups.
- Roots are cooked like parsnip.
- In Indian cuisine, it is used in rice dishes such as biryani and pulao.
- It is used in Syrian cuisine to make sweet scones called Keleacha.
- Add it in soups and stews to enhance the flavor.
- It could be used as an ingredient in stews, dishes made of goose meat and pork.In your morning toast, include a few seeds of caraway roasted in olive oil.
- Caraway seeds are utilized to flavor breads, biscuits and cakes. They’re also utilized as a seasoning and pickling spice.
Whole-Wheat Fettuccine With Savoy Cabbage, Cream And Caraway Seeds
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, lightly crushed (pressing on them with a cast-iron skillet works well)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, quartered through the stem end, cored and finely shredded crosswise
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Kosher or sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Warm the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta, stir to coat with the oil and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the pancetta is sizzling and has begun to render its fat and is just starting to crisp. Stir in the shallot, caraway seeds and a generous grinding of pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the shallot is translucent and softened.
- Add as much cabbage as will fit in the pan. Pour 1/4 cup of the broth over the cabbage and cover. Let the cabbage cook for a few minutes, until it has started to wilt. Add more cabbage and a splash more broth. Cover and let cook until wilted. Continue until you have added the last of the cabbage and broth. Cook, stirring from time to time, for about 15 minutes, or until the cabbage is just tender but still slightly crunchy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt if you like. Stir in the cream, raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for no more than 10 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and salt generously. Add the pasta and cook, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until al dente (if you’re using fresh pasta, it will be done in under 5 minutes). Drain the pasta in a colander set in the sink and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Transfer the pasta to the saute pan and turn the heat to the lowest possible setting. Toss gently to combine the pasta and sauce thoroughly, adding a splash or two of the reserved cooking water if necessary to loosen the sauce. Transfer the dressed pasta to a warmed serving bowl or shallow individual bowls. Sprinkle a little of the Parmigiano over the top and serve immediately. Pass the remaining cheese at the table.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 pounds brisket, rolled and tied (rolling and tying optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, butter or vegetable oil
- 6 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer, such as stout or porter
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, flameproof casserole or roasting pan, brown the meat on all sides in the fat, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the meat and set aside. Saute the onions and garlic until very soft and light brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Add the broth and stir, making sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining ingredients except the caraway seeds and pepper and stir. Return the meat to the pan, cover and place in the oven.
- Braise the meat 2 1/2 to 3 hours, basting occasionally with the sauce and spreading some of the onions on top. During the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, sprinkle the top with the caraway seeds and pepper. To serve, slice the meat and spoon the sauce on top.
James Beard’s Seed Cake
Makes one 8-inch loaf cake
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- Butter and flour an 8-inch loaf pan and set aside. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and caraway seeds. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, beating until well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a cooling rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let cool to room temperature before serving.
Caraway oil is one of the types of essential oil which has a lot of benefits for human health. When it comes to spices, caraway is one of the spices easily found in the kitchen but the health benefits of caraway oil is even more amazing compared to the spices. The essential oil of caraway has been written in some traditional medical books for over centuries as one of the oil that cure nearly all diseases.
What Is Caraway Oil?
Caraway oil is extracted from caraway seeds derived from caraway plant. This plant has scientific name Carum Carvi. Aside being popular to be made into essential oil, caraway seeds are also used widely as spices. Most people have been mistaken caraway with anise because the health benefits of anise seeds not really different with caraway and they come from the same family Apiaceae but they come from totally different genus. When anise is popular among Asian regions, caraway is more popular in Europe and some regions in Middle East though right now, caraway is also one of the spices easily found in Asia and have been used widely as part of important spices in Asia cuisines.
Values Contained in Caraway Oil
Some studies have been specially conducted in order to find out more about the values contained in caraway oil due to some claims about how beneficial this essential oil is for human health. Those studies supported the claims that caraway oil is indeed containing some essential properties such as anti-histaminic, antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, expectorant and astringent properties and so on. To find out more about health benefits of caraway oil, the list below may tell you more about this essential oil.
1. Recommended for Lactating Mother
One of the amazing health benefits of black caraway oil is the galactogogue contained in this essential oil. It means, consuming caraway oil during lactation could help increasing the production of breast milk. Moreover, caraway oil also contains other substances that could help improving and protecting the baby’s digestion, so conditions like indigestion and flatulence could be prevented.
2. Natural Solution to Cough
There are two reasons why caraway oil is excellent solution to deal with cough. First, it contains anti-histaminic properties and expectorant. Anti-histaminic is very potent to help dealing with seasonal allergies with cough as the symptoms while expectorant could help dealing with the common cough and sore throat.
3. Contains Antiseptic and Disinfectant Properties
Just like the health benefits of anise oil, caraway oil also contains antiseptic and disinfectant properties. Surely you have known the role of antiseptic and disinfectant properties for your body metabolism. Caraway oil contains both properties. In other words consuming caraway oil regularly could help preventing infection caused by bacteria or viruses. Studies have proven caraway oil may help curing infections occur in colon and digestive system, respiratory, urinary up to excretory system.
4. Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Some studies regarding the health benefits of caraway oil showed positive result that this essential oil may be helpful to maintain healthy heart rate. Furthermore, consuming it regularly could help strengthening the cardiac muscles as well as arteries and veins. Not only that, caraway oil also contains properties that may beneficial in maintaining the blood pressure and cholesterol level.
5. Relieves Muscle Spasm
For external usage, caraway oil could be used as massage. Among the health benefits of full body massage is to help relieving muscle spasm but when massaging using caraway oil the result will be better. Furthermore, caraway oil has aromatic properties that are not only good for your body but also for your soul.
6. Excellent for Digestion
Consuming caraway oil regularly may help improving digestion. Caraway oil contains stomachic properties which is not only optimizing the digestion process but also protecting the digestive system from infection. As mentioned in point number one, caraway oil is safe enough to be consumed by lactating mother and the benefits are not only for the mother but also for the baby.
7. Has Diuretic Effect
Most people are not really away of the essential function of diuretic. Well, having healthy diuretic condition is not only related to the urination process but also the sign of healthy liver and healthy diet. When you have normal diuretic, you could maintain your blood pressure in easier way, reduce fat, prevent weight gain and the sign of healthy kidney.
8. Reduces the Post Menopause Syndrome
Post menopause syndrome may not be fatal but could be really uncomfortable. Caraway oil contains emanogogue properties that could help reducing the post menopause syndrome in women and make them a bit bearable. Women who are currently suffering from obstructed or delay menstruation is also recommended to consume caraway oil to help dealing with the conditions.
9. Fights Depression
Initially, most people prefer to hide the symptoms of depression that may occur due to some factors. However, you should know that depression is not something you could deal with lightly. Seeking help immediately once you find something wrong with yourself is highly recommended. It is because caraway has stimulating effect to help fighting depression.
10. Solution to Healthy Skin
There are a lot of people have proven how effective caraway oil is in maintain their healthy skin. It is due to the antioxidants properties found in this essential oil. Moreover, for external use, caraway oil is also able to be used to fight inflammation like rheumatism, arthritis and for skin health caraway oil is even used to cure rashes.
Cautions of Caraway Oil
From the list above you could see how amazing the health benefits of caraway oil for human. However, still there are some cautions you should aware of.
- The case of allergic reaction caused by caraway oil is very rare but there are some cases reported regarding skin irritation when caraway oil is applied in high dosage.
- You should be aware of from where your caraway oil is coming from. Today there are a lot of products claimed to be made from caraway oil. To deal with it you should be a smart buyer and purchase caraway oil from the respectable supplier only to prevent being fraud.
- Be careful with several types of caraway essential oil. Some essential oil is made for the purpose of external use only. In other words you cannot consume it.
So, why don’t you check your first aid box whether you have caraway oil in stock or not? From the list of health benefits of caraway oil mentioned above, surely you would not forget to always keep caraway oil by your side. For the sake of healthy living goal, you may add caraway as part of spices because the health benefit of caraway as spices are probably different from what you get in the form of essential oil.
Negative Effects of Caraway Seed
Caraway seed is actually a aromatic, culinary herb which is indigenous to Asia. It is in fact a fruit of the caraway herb, however it looks like seed once it’s got dried. This particular spice is worth its therapeutic benefits, designed for digestive conditions like dyspepsia, flatulence and colic. However, taking caraway seed may have a number of negative effects; talk to a health professional prior to using it for therapeutic reasons.
1. Liver Damage
In accordance with the Physicians Desk Reference, caraway oil, an extremely volatile essential oil present in caraway seed, may cause kidney and liver damage when it’s consumed in huge doses over a long period of time. Authors Kraft and Hobbs observe that this essential oil has additionally been discovered to avoid or relieve muscle spasms in animals.
2. Not Suitable For Pregnant And Nursing Mothers
Pregnancy is an important stage in every woman’s life as this is the time when she brings a new life to this world. It is important for us to enjoy a healthy diet, but at the pregnancy stage, it becomes even more important as what mother eats or drinks not only determines her health but also determines the health of the fetus growing in her womb. Avoiding thing that may cause harm during pregnancy is as important as eating food that benefits during the pregnancy.
Although caraway seeds are a good source of many nutrients like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, flavonoids etc. but it is better to avoid caraway seeds during pregnancy. This is because caraway seeds have been found to possess abortifacient properties which means they may trigger abortion or increases the risk of premature labor.
So, if you are an expecting mother, then you should avoid consuming caraway seeds ( in any form) at all cost. For lactating mothers too, it is advisable to avoid consuming caraway seeds. This is because caraway seeds are rich in dietary fibers which may cause stomach discomfort, abdominal pain, flatulence etc. in infants.
Ironically, among the herb’s medicinal advantages, specifically its carminative, or even gas-relieving qualities, is also the reason for one of its most typical negative effects. The book “Pocket Guide to Herbal Medicine,” explains that caraway seed helps the expulsion of excess gas within the gastrointestinal tract. However, while reducing the discomfort of gas within the stomach, this may also trigger heartburn by reduction of pressure within the esophageal sphincter, a valve which normally keeps stomach contents within the stomach.
The carminative effects of caraway seed might also result in extreme belching, writes Adriane Fugh-Berman in her book “The 5 Minute Herb and Dietary Supplement Consult.” Belching, that is occasionally known as burping or ructus, requires the expulsion of excess gas and bloating through the stomach and intestinal tract from the mouth. It might be associated with a characteristic sound and, sometimes, a smell.
5. Narcotic Effects
Caraway seed has got narcotic qualities, reports Florence Daniel. In her book “Food Remedies: Facts About Foods and their Medicinal Uses,” she writes that it needs to be combined with caution simply because, just like a narcotic, it may become addictive. Other side effects which are linked to the herb’s narcotic effects consist of drowsiness, mental clouding and nausea.
6. Increase Kidney Damage
Taking caraway seed oil in large doses for a long period of time can increase the risk of kidney and liver damage. It has also been found that over-intake of caraway seed oil can also alleviate muscle spasms.
7. Not So Good For Digestive Health
Eating caraway seeds on a regular and moderate basis has been found to be very beneficial for our stomach and helps in keeping our digestive system healthy. This benefit of caraway seeds is mainly because of the presence of dietary fibers and antioxidants in them.
The antioxidants fight with the free radicals of our body, stabilizes them and thus prevents them from causing oxidative damage to cells, and thus reduces the risk of stomach cancer, colon cancer etc. and allows them to function optimally.
The dietary fibers present in the caraway seeds acts as a natural laxative, improves bowel movement and ensures smooth elimination of waste from our system. By doing so, it not only provides relief from constipation but also reduces the risk of other digestive problems like abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome, flatulence etc.
Although dietary fibers present in caraway seeds are good for our stomach, still it is better to consume them in moderation. This is because over intake of dietary fibers can give rise to malabsorption, irritable bowel syndrome, intestinal gas, intestinal blockage, abdominal cramp etc.
Regular intake of caraway seeds can also increase the secretion of digestive juices which helps in getting proper nutrition from the food, but in excessive quantity, oversecretion of digestive juices can give rise to heartburn, acidity etc.
8. Cause Hypotension
Hypertension or high blood pressure is a major health concern that affects millions of people all over the world. It has been found that regular and moderate consumption of caraway seeds is very beneficial for providing relief from high blood pressure or hypertension.
This benefit of caraway seeds is mainly because of the presence of “Potassium” in it. Potassium is a vital mineral that acts as a vasodilator which means it relaxes our blood vessels, improves blood circulation, and thus helps in controlling high blood pressure. As hypertension is a major cause of various cardiovascular problems like irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart stroke etc. So, by controlling hypertension, it helps in controlling various cardiovascular problems.
Although caraway seeds are very effective for controlling hypertension, it is better to eat them in moderation This is because eating too many caraway seeds can increase the level of potassium in our body which may increase the risk of hypotension or low blood pressure. Hypotension is a condition in which our blood pressure drops down to a very low level and is characterized by the symptoms like fatigue, lightheadedness, dizziness, nausea, clammy skin, depression, blurry vision etc.
In addition to this, if you are already taking medication for controlling high blood pressure, then over intake of caraway seeds may interfere with the medication.
9. Cause Hypoglycemia
Consuming caraway seeds on a regular and moderate basis has been found to be very beneficial for diabetic patients or those who are at the risk of developing diabetes. This benefit of caraway seeds is mainly because of its low glycemic index. Glycemic Index of caraway seeds is low which means it releases sugar into the bloodstream at a slow rate and thus helps in keeping blood sugar under control.
In addition to this, the dietary fibers present in the caraway seeds also plays an important role in managing diabetes as it slows down the rate at which sugar gets absorbed into the bloodstream, and thus helps in managing diabetes.
Although caraway seeds are good for diabetes management, it is better to eat them in moderation. This is because over intake of caraway seeds can drop the blood sugar to a dangerously low level, and may increase the risk of hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemic is a condition in which our blood sugar drops down to a very low level, and is characterized by the symptoms like rapid heartbeat, blurry vision, sudden mood changes, pale skin, headache, hunger, shaking etc.
In addition to this, if you are already on diabetic medication, then it is better to eat caraway seeds only after consulting with your doctor. This is because hypoglycemic nature of caraway seeds may interfere with the diabetic medication.
10. Cause Allergic Reaction In Some Individuals
Caraway seeds are antihistamine in nature which means they are very effective in combating against various seasonal allergies and associated symptoms like endless coughing etc. However, caraway seeds may not suit some individuals and they may experience allergic reactions on consuming them.
It has been found that individuals who are allergic to sesame seeds, sunflower seeds are highly likely to be allergic to caraway seeds, and these individuals should avoid caraway seeds at all cost.
11. Too Many Antioxidants Are Bad
Caraway seeds are an excellent source of many antioxidants like Vitamin C and other antioxidantal compounds like phytonutrients, polyphenols, flavonoids etc. These antioxidants play an important role in keeping us healthy as they fight with the free radicals of our body, stabilizes them and thus prevents them from causing oxidative damage to our cells. By protecting our cells from the oxidative damage, it reduces the risk of various types of cancers like colon cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, stomach cancer etc.
Although antioxidants present in the caraway seeds provides a number of benefits like reducing oxidative stress, strengthening the immune system, improving collagen production etc. but still it is better to eat them in moderation. This is because, in large doses, antioxidants may do more harm than the good.
As per a study published in the Journal of Cancer Institute in 1996, it was found that smokers who took beta-carotene in large doses were more likely to develop lung cancer in comparison to those who didn’t. As per another study conducted by the office of the dietary supplements, it was found that over-intake of Vitamin E for a prolonged period of time can increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke and sometimes, it may even lead to death.
This negative effect of antioxidants is because of the fact that in large doses, antioxidants not only destroy the cancerous cells but also the healthy cells of our body.
We endeavor to keep our content True, Accurate, Correct, Original and Up to Date.
If you believe that any information in this article is Incorrect, Incomplete, Plagiarised, violates your Copyright right or you want to propose an update, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the proposed changes and the content URL. Provide as much information as you can and we promise to take corrective measures to the best of our abilities.
All content in this site is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor, psychiatrist or any other health care professional. We are not responsible or liable for any diagnosis, decision or self-assessment made by a user based on the content of our website.
Always consult your own doctor if you're in any way concerned about your health.
Healthy Living Guide
- Health Benefits of Acai
- Health Benefits of Ackee
- Health Benefits of Allspice
- Health Benefits of Almond
- Health Benefits of Apples
- Health Benefits of Apricot
- Health Benefits of Argan Oil
- Health Benefits of Arrowroot
- Health Benefits of Artichoke
- Health Benefits of Arugula
- Health Benefits of Asparagus
- Health Benefits of Avocados
- Health Benefits of Bananas
- Health Benefits of Basil Leaves
- Health Benefits of Beans
- Health Benefits of Beetroot Juice
- Health Benefits of Bell Pepper
- Health Benefits of Bitter Melon
- Health Benefits of Blackberries
- Health Benefits of Black Pepper
- Health Benefits of Blueberries
- Health Benefits of Broccoli
- Health Benefits of Brussels Sprout
- Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Health Benefits of Cantaloupe
- Health Benefits of Caraway
- Health Benefits of Cardamom
- Health Benefits of Carrot
- Health Benefits of Cashew Nuts
- Health Benefits of Cassava
- Health Benefits of Cauliflower
- Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
- Health Benefits of Celeriac
- Health Benefits of Celery
- Health Benefits of Cheese
- Health Benefits of Cherimoya
- Health Benefits of Cherries
- Health Benefits of Chestnuts
- Health Benefits of Chickpeas
- Health Benefits of Chicory
- Health Benefits of Chili Pepper
- Health Benefits of Chives
- Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Health Benefits of Clementine
- Health Benefits of Cloves
- Health Benefits of Coconut
- Health Benefits of Coriander Cilantro
- Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice
- Health Benefits of Cucumber
- Health Benefits of Cumin
- Health Benefits of Damson
- Health Benefits of Dandelion
- Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- Health Benefits of Date Fruit
- Health Benefits of Dill
- Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
- Health Benefits of Drinking Coffee
- Health Benefits of Durian
- Health Benefits of Edamame
- Health Benefits of Eggplant
- Health Benefits of Elderberry
- Health Benefits of Endive
- Health Benefits of Fennel
- Health Benefits of Fennel Bulbs
- Health Benefits of Fenugreek
- Health Benefits of Figs
- Health Benefits of Garlic
- Health Benefits of Ginger
- Health Benefits of Grapefruit
- Health Benefits of Grapes
- Health Benefits of Grapeseed Oil
- Health Benefits of Green Beans
- Health Benefits of Green Peas
- Health Benefits of Green Tea
- Health Benefits of Guarana
- Health Benefits of Guava
- Health Benefits of Honey
- Health Benefits of Horned Melon Kiwano
- Health Benefits of Jackfruit
- Health Benefits of Jerusalem Artichoke
- Health Benefits of Jicama
- Health Benefits of Jojoba Oil
- Health Benefits of Jujube
- Health Benefits of Kale
- Health Benefits of Kohlrabi
- Health Benefits of Kumquat
- Health Benefits of Leek
- Health Benefits of Lemon
- Health Benefits of Lime Juice
- Health Benefits of Liquorice
- Health Benefits of Loquat
- Health Benefits of Lychees
- Health Benefits of Macadamia Nut
- Health Benefits of Mulberry
- Health Benefits of Mushroom
- Health Benefits of Nutmeg
- Health Benefits of Okra
- Health Benefits of Onions
- Health Benefits of Orange
- Health Benefits of Papaya
- Health Benefits of Paprika
- Health Benefits of Parsley
- Health Benefits of Parsnip
- Health Benefits of Passion Fruit
- Health Benefits of Peach
- Health Benefits of Pear
- Health Benefits of Peppermint
- Health Benefits of Persimmon
- Health Benefits of Pineapples
- Health Benefits of Plums
- Health Benefits of Pluot
- Health Benefits of Pomegranate
- Health Benefits of Potato
- Health Benefits of Pumpkin
- Health Benefits of Quince
- Health Benefits of Radish
- Health Benefits of Rambutan
- Health Benefits of Rapini
- Health Benefits of Red Cabbage
- Health Benefits of Red Currant
- Health Benefits of Romaine Lettuce
- Health Benefits of Rose Hip
- Health Benefits of Rutabaga
- Health Benefits of Salak Fruit
- Health Benefits of Sapodilla
- Health Benefits of Scallions
- Health Benefits of Shea Butter
- Health Benefits of Soybean
- Health Benefits of Spinach
- Health Benefits of Squash
- Health Benefits of Star Fruit
- Health Benefits of Stinging Nettle
- Health Benefits of Strawberries
- Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Health Benefits of Swiss Chad
- Health Benefits of Tamarillo
- Health Benefits of Tamarind Fruit
- Health Benefits of Tangerine Fruit
- Health Benefits of Tarragon
- Health Benefits of Tomatillo
- Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Health Benefits of Turnip
- Health Benefits of Vanilla Extract
- Health Benefits of Walnut
- Health Benefits of Water
- Health Benefits of Watercress
- Health Benefits of Watermelons
- Health Benefits of Yams
- Health Benefits of Zucchini